Why We Witness

11:18 AM


Why do born-again Christians always share their faith with unbelievers? Why don’t they keep their faith private and personal?

The answer is simple. Jesus Christ said He is the only way to God and when we’re saved by Him the purpose of our lives is to take up our own crosses and follow Him. We’re called to live for others instead of selfishly keeping the truth to ourselves out of the fear of persecution. Jesus gave up His life for man so that everyone who believes in Him may live eternally in joyous communion with their loving Father.

“Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” - Matthew 16:24-25

"And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”"- Matthew 28:18-20 

Christians who are reborn through the Holy Spirit are given a regenerated nature which gives them faith in and love for God and humanity. We're able to see the truth that most of those around us are like we used to be - condemned souls who face eternal suffering away from the presence of God (and subsequently, everything good). While being Christian with a personal relationship with God is absolutely amazing in infinite ways, it also isn’t going to be a walk in the park while we live on this Earth.

“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.” - Matthew 7:13-14

Jesus said twice that a man must be born again in order to see the kingdom of God (John 3:3, 7). Regeneration is not optional, for “flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit” (John 3:6). Physical birth fits us for earth; spiritual rebirth fits us for heaven (Ephesians 2:1; 1 Peter 1:23; John 1:13). Regeneration is part of what God does for us at the moment of salvation, along with sealing (Ephesians 1:14), of adoption (Galatians 4:5) and forgiveness of sins (2 Corinthians 5:18–20). Regeneration begins the process of sanctification when we become the people God intends us to be (Romans 8:28–30).

The only means of regeneration is by faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross. No amount of good works or keeping of the Law can regenerate the heart. “By works of the law no human being will be justified in [God’s] sight” (Romans 3:20). Only Christ offers a cure for the total depravity of the human heart. People don't enjoy being told that they're inherently sinful or evil, however because of the fallen nature of the flesh, man loves the darkness and hates the light.

“And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.” - John 3:19-20

I’m just beginning my walk in faith with the Holy Spirit on this side of regeneration. Despite believing that Jesus was the only way to God, I didn’t read the Bible so the seed of truth that was planted so long ago in me was left small, unwatered and without light. I kept Jesus at an arm's length while I, riddled with fear and anxiety, thought I could live and enjoy my life better with myself in the drivers seat. This wasn't working out too well for me. Once convicted by the Word I earnestly prayed for the faith that only God can provide to change me. When the Holy Spirit miraculously opened my eyes, He revealed Himself to me in a myriad of exceptional ways and a renewed faith entered my heart and grew. This change in me has been obvious to everyone who knows me well and especially dramatic to me! All I want to do is share this amazing treasure with people around me, especially my loved ones.

My fears of others hostility and mockery come back if I begin to lean on myself. As I submit to God and give Him my worries in faith He provides the needed strength, trust and love for the present. Everyday my faith grows and my heart becomes less burdened. It’s fascinating how He provides just what we need and no more than that, so we'll regularly come to Him in humble and thankful trust.  This reminds me of the way my dad used to discipline my sisters and me to teach us various life lessons. It took a long time for us to see how good it was and I’m so grateful to him for it today. I’m being blessed again as I see that our God is a good Father to us who not only loves and comforts, but also teaches us lessons so we may grow in our wisdom and faith. All praise and glory to God!

 "When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”" - John 21:15-19

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your feedback.