Every Encumbrance

2:16 PM



"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."
- Hebrews 12: 1-2

I joined facebook the first week of my freshman year at college. Almost every person I met at any social event asked if we could be “facebook friends”. There was an instant feeling of pride every time my network expanded. Connecting with new acquaintances and reconnecting with high school peers was thrilling and I enjoyed showcasing the best version of myself to receive positive feedback.

It wasn’t helpful to waste time on it everyday, but I excused it as necessary to stay in touch with people. Last fall my workload increased significantly, so I removed the app from my phone and installed a productivity extension to chrome which allowed me 15 minutes of use. This worked brilliantly for about a week, but I soon gave into my compulsion and found ways around it. After realising that I couldn’t be trusted to avoid it using willpower alone I gave access over to my husband.

Straight away I searched for content to stimulate me the way that everything on facebook had (youtube, snapchat, instagram, etc). Despite my best efforts my world quieted down without the steady influx of information, entertainment and notifications. I began experiencing life on a calmer, private level and was slowly freed from my need to self-promote. I learned that my life had value whether it was being catalogued or "liked" by others. Most importantly I was losing the unkind habit of judging others for the sake of personal validation - something that always left me feeling awful.

Around this time my friend recommended a daily devotional app called “Bible in One Year”, which began my morning routine in God’s word. It navigates through Old & New Testament books in a clear way and applies them in historical and modern day context. You don't have to be a learned theologian to understand Scripture (especially when you have the Holy Spirit who helps you understand it), but this devotional is a really great tool. In an astoundingly short period of time I began seeing Jesus as more infinitely grand than anything or anyone I’ve ever known. My desire for truth grows daily and He's become the only thing that really satisfies. He's what I've been looking for all the days of my wandering.

"Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst." - John 6:35  

The works of his hands are faithful and just;
all his precepts are trustworthy;
they are established forever and ever,
to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.
He sent redemption to his people;
he has commanded his covenant forever.
Holy and awesome is his name!
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;
all those who practice it have a good understanding.
His praise endures forever!


- Psalm 111: 7-10

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your feedback.